Monday, October 09, 2006

THE KANSAS CITY CHIEFS - NOT AS DEPRESSINGLY BAD AS ORIGINALLY THOUGHT


Looks comfortable, doesn’t it?

Pictures like the one above make me glad I am not a football player. Of course, there are not many places in professional football for slow, white guys who have problems catching a cold, let alone a football. So, I guess it is really never an issue to begin with. At any rate, I digress.

This post is not about Antrelle Rolle’s attempt to decapitate the Kansas City Chiefs best player; however, it is about why I am glad it is Chiefs season again.

Why?

Chiefs season is the only time of year one of the teams I pull for on a regular basis actually makes it three weeks into the season without being eliminated from playoff contention.

The statement is the reason why yesterday’s win over Arizona was so darn important and makes a guy like me so damn happy. Sure, it was just a win over the Cardinals; but, a loss would have virtually ended the season with three of the Chiefs hardest games of the year looming in the next three weeks.

A loss to the Cardinals and I would have been looking ahead to the start of Royals season. And, yes, the last statement is as depressing as it sounds.

Instead, the Chiefs rallied to defeat the Cardinals and I can look forward to another week of a Kansas City game that means something.

An impressive feat considering the Chiefs have been locked into the Damon Huard Era after Trent Green got knocked into November by a cheap hit at the hands of Cincinnati in week one.

Luckily, Huard has played extremely well in relief, the Chiefs actually play defense from time to time and the NFL scheduling gods tossed the team a bone with San Francisco and Arizona in back-to-back weeks.

Now, with dates against Pittsburgh, Seattle and San Diego, looming in the future, Kansas City has a chance to do something my teams do not often do, make a run at the playoffs. With the Chiefs remaining schedule, win two of the three, the Chiefs are giving me something to do in January besides looking forward to the latest Royals debacle.

I mean, sure, chances are the Chiefs will finish around 8-8 and finish up the season as another average football team like they always do; but, for now, at least they have a chance.

And, for now, that makes me a happy sports fan. A rare feat for a guy who grew up near Kansas City.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home