Wednesday, June 28, 2006

TACO CABANA REALLY WANTS TO MAKE SURE THEY HAVE THE ORDER CORRECT

Just for historic record, here is a posting of the regular conversations I have had with the drive-thru operator at Taco Cabana, one of Waco's finest late-night eateries (the two-chicken soft taco combo is quite choice). So, if one has ever wondered why it takes 10-15 minutes to get through each car at the Waco Taco Cabana right off of I-35, I think I have pin-pointed the reason.

Operator: Welcome to Taco Combo, may I take your order?
Me: Hello. I would like the two, chicken soft taco combo with a diet coke.
Operator: Would you like salsa with that?
Me: No.
Operator: So, we have a two-chicken soft taco combo (dramatic pause)?
Me. Yes.
Operator: With a diet coke?
Me: Yes.
Operator: Would you like guacamole with that?
Me: No.
Operator: So, no salsa and no guacamole?
Me: That is correct.
Operator: So, I have a two-chicken soft taco combo with a diet coke?
Me: Yes.
Operator: And no salsa or guacamole?
Me: Yes.
Operator: Ok, a two-chicken soft taco combo, with no guacamole or salsa and a diet coke...
Me: Yes.
Operator: Hold on... Ok, will that be cash or charge?
Me: Cash
Operator: Ok, so I have a two-chicken soft taco combo with a diet coke... I will have your total at the window.

Now that we are through with that, five quick observations/questions:
1. The drive-thru operator routinely repeats my order a whopping four or five times. Hands down, a mind-boggling record in the service industry.

2. I have determined the charge for the meal is the same whether I pay cash or charge. So, why ask?

3. In my clever attempt at a rouse, if I offer to pay by check, will work at Taco Cabana come to a grinding halt due to the stunning nature of my decision?

4. Is guacamole really that fun to say?

5. The next person who goes through this whole process and then changes their entire order after the final question will be my hero.

1 Comments:

At 2:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a damn fine drive-thru exchange.

Here's mine from the Whataburger over by my house today (and keep in mind that I order the same thing every time, and that this Whataburger rarely makes a mistake) ...

Operator: Welcome to Whataburger. May I take your order?
Lars: Sure. I'll have a number five (bacon cheeseburger) with no onions, add ketchup, and a diet coke.
Operator: OK. So you want a number five with mustard, er, and add ketchup.
Lars: And hold the onions.
Operator: Yeah. Hold the onions. I got that. And you want mustard and ketchup with no mayo.
Lars: Well, yeah. The mustard and mayo are really inconsequential. I'll take them if they come with it, or without. Whichever, but I definitely want ketchup.
Operator: Oh, you want mayo?
Lars: Sure, why not?
Operator: OK. So that's a number five with ketchup. No mustard and no mayo.
Lars: Well, OK. But hold the onions, too.
Operator: No onions?
Lars: Yeah, no onions.
Operator: OK. No onions, no mayo, no mustard.
Lars: Yeah, and add ketchup.
Operator: Right. And you wanted Dr Pepper.
Lars: No. Diet Coke.
Operator: OK. That's a number five, no onions, and ketchup, what-a-size with a coke.
Lars: No. Regular size with a diet coke.
Operator: Oh, I'm sorry. I thought you said what-a-size. You just want regular size.
Lars: Yes. With a diet coke.
Operator: Right. Diet coke.
Lars: Yes.
Operator: OK. That'll be $6.28.
Lars (to myself): That's not right. The number five is $5.19 before tax. Was there a tax hike?

--- drive to the window ---

Operator: Your total is $6.28.
Lars: No, that's not right.
Operator: Yes, sir. $6.28.
Lars: The tax is over a dollar on a five-dollar meal?
Operator: Well, you had a number five what-a-size ...
Lars: No, I didn't want it what-a-sized.
Operator: Oh, I'm sorry. ... OK. It's $5.43.


A few minutes later, I got my drink and a bag of food. I drove off and took my first sip of the drink: Dr Pepper. Imagine my surprise when I got home, opened the bag and found a bacon cheeseburger with onions, mustard, mayo and no ketchup.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home